Monday, June 30, 2008

Future Missionary?

Wow- I cannot believe this experience is coming to an end.  We are about to start my last two week outreach.  I really do not want to leave.  I feel like I am finally getting really connected with people.  For example, Dave and I found some Dominicans who play volleyball every day at four.  So last Friday, we went to play and got back at 6:05. Guess what time the banquet started? Oh, 6. Oops. We plan on going as much as we can these last few weeks.  I just wish I would have found this stuff out 8 weeks ago.  It was cool too because the guy who invited us, Dioni, asked if I could do a volleyball practice for the girls in the community.  I was like... OF COURSE!!!   The guys have really gotten into playing basketball with some guys in the community too.  So at least twice a week, we go and watch them play.  I feel like there are so many opportunites to connect to people here through sports especially.

I do not want to get my hopes too high, but I may have a future job opportunity here.  Some ideas are being thrown around about me coming back as a site leader for an additional sports site.  There are very little opportunities for girls to play sports here.  So the idea would be that I would work with Raul (the baseball site leader) for a while and build relationships with people in the community.  Eventually, we would set up another site where I could coach volleyball.  So yeah I would get to play sports all day in the Dominican Republic. How fun would that be!?! But like I said, this is still in the beginning stages.  I am going to be talking through more of the logistics with Nate and Lowell this week... but yeah.  Please pray for guidance.  I would obviously finish this last year of school but then after that, (as soon as I could raise enough support) I would come back an be a real live missionary!!!!  I am super pumped!  Every time I pray about it, I get more and more excited.  I feel as if so many of my life experiences have led up to this.  For example, playing softball growing up has helped me to get connected at the baseball site.  Volleyball is pretty much the second most popular site here after baseball.  Other missions trips have shown me my passion for using sports as missions.  Even more, I will be assistant coaching for Bethel which will give me valuable tools to coaching here on my own.  We will see.  Sorry I don't have any fun pics today.  

No comments: