Monday, June 23, 2008

Experiencing Poverty

One of my goals in coming here this summer was to try gain a better understanding of poverty. I had hoped by being closer to poor people, I could somehow experience what they experience. However, the longer I am here, I realize how far I am from actually experiencing poverty. There is one specific instance that I can't seem to get out of my head. This past weekend, Hosea and Vanessa took us on a trip to visit Santo Domingo, the capital. At one point we were driving back to our hostel. It was nighttime and it was raining pretty hard. A woman stood outside our van. Her clothes were torn and she seemed to just be withering away in the rain. I don't know why it hit me so hard, but it did. No matter how hard I try to be immersed in this culture, I cannot even come close to experiencing poverty. Yes, I could still give up all I have and try to live on the streets , but it still would not be the same. I would always have my family to lean on. Because of my education and background, I will always be able to get a job and support myself. Yet, there are definitely people who are do not have this privilege. There are many that no matter how smart they are or how many good decisions they make, they cannot escape a life of poverty. So what now? I know I have a responsibility to live a frugal life and give to the poor. I just feel that can only go so far. So really, I feel like I have not come to any great conclusions and revelations. However, these have just been some things I have been reflecting on lately.

Anyways.... Like I mentioned before, we took a trip to Santo Domingo during our last weekend off. Hosea grew up in Santo Domingo, so he was able to show us around the city. Below is a picture of all of us interns. We had such a blast. I also had my first experience staying in a hostel in the city. We all crammed into one room and shared two bathrooms with the rest of the guests. Fun times.

The picture below is of part of the group that I took into town. We ate at Pico Pollo, a classic food of the Dominican Republic: Fried chicken and fried plantains. Yum! The one who is trying to look tough in the picture is Ryan. He says the funniest things. Probably the highlight of my week was when we were practicing for the volleyball outreach. As we were playing this game I invented he shouts out, "This is the most fun I've had with white people". Dave (the other intern helping with the volleyball outreach) and I just laughed so hard. High schoolers say some of the best stuff.
As far as the ministry goes, I can definitely tell I am getting tired. I love working with Amy and I love the kids at the PT site. However, some days I just feel exhausted and I do not have the patience. It's tough because I feel totally unqualified to do physical therapy and that frustrates me, a lot. But I am realizing that I do not have to be good at something for God to use me. It just gives me more of a reason to rely on God. This past group has been high schoolers, which has definitely been a change. I feel as if I am back at camp. As far as my role as an intern, I think I like having high schoolers better. Just like camp, I know that in order for them to be energetic, I have got to be SUPER energetic. If you have ever worked with high schoolers, you know what I am talking about. So I love it, but it is definitely even more draining. But that's what I am here for: To pour out, so that God can fill me back up again. God is good!
If you want to see more pics and don't have facebook... here ya go: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2014966&l=3dfb4&id=62400345

No comments: