Saturday, March 13, 2010

Northwestern Team!

So a dream of mine came true this past week. An actual college volleyball team from Northwestern came and helped run a camp for the girls. Not only did equip ALL my girls with t-shirts and shorts, but they also brought a brand new net. Even more, they came with incredible enthusiasm and passion, that definitely left my girls changed and impacted. Each day the girls shared a bible lesson with the girls as well. This team not only came to serve, but to open their hearts and make a big impact on Jarabacoa.

Also, through the sport of volleyball, they were able to bring the gospel to areas that I have not been able to on my own. Thursday night, the team played against a group of guys from the community that are by far the best in Jarabacoa. We were 1-3 but the one we won was way worth it. :) First of all, playing and getting super pumped with the team was sooo fun. I miss being a part of a team. Secondly, we had a chance to preach to this group of guys which probably would have never would have had the chance to hear the gospel being spoken. I translated for a girl and then had the chance to preach to the guys myself. It was soo neat because I often go to play with these guys but since I'm the outsider (and they are definitely not a talkative bunch unless they are arguing about a call), I have not gotten the chance to really share my faith with them. But this definitely opened up BIG doors to sharing the gospel with them!

Thank you Northwestern for truly making a difference in my own life, as well as so many lives here in Jarabacoa!

Additional side note: So today I was reaching into my box of cereal and just as I was putting into my mouth, a cockroach ran up my hand and onto my face! Ohhhh the fun exciting things here in the DR. Love it. :)

3 comments:

Amy Werner said...

Celebrating with you for all the great stuff God is up to there!! It's so fun to see how He is using you and blessing so many others through you. Praying for you!!

Jyll said...

I really did not need to know about the roach. Now, I am gonna be paranoid just to eat breakfast!!

Unknown said...

Great story Jessica, I am encouraged to hear how God in His unique way opens doors, especially when He does it in ways that tie to where He has brought us from.